The sinuses can be cause of much pain. Specifically I am talking about the frontal sinuses, the ethmoid sinuses, and the maxillary sinuses (see image below). How can these facial structures cause so much discomfort and pain?
All these sinuses are air-filled cavities or located in your forehead, cheekbones, and behind the bridge of your nose. If you notice sinus "pain", those are the major areas that the pain stems from. These sinuses are supposted to drain through channels in the nose.
When a sinus cavity becomes inflamed, it causes swelling and production of mucus, causing blockage of the channels.
What can cause inflammation? It can be caused by an allergic reaction, a tumor, or an infection.
The increase in pressure in the sinuses causes a pain similar to that of a headache. This can be the cause of deep pain in the cheek bones, in the nose and in the forehead area. It can also cause fullness in the ear, swelling in the face, discharge from the nose and just an overall feeling of fullness in the face.
What can help this sinus blockage and pain? Moist heat therapy can do wonders. A product called Therabeads Sinus Relief Pad can offer one natural solution to sinus pain. You can simply microwave the pad, and the thera beads release retained moist heat effectively to the areas of the sinuses where you need it the moist.
What else can help to clear sinus pain?
- Massage the sinusus- use only enough pressure so that you don't feel extra pain. Hold the point for 20 seconds. Use the diagram above. Hit the forehead, cheekbones, and around the nose area
- Do a Saline Wash- Get a Neti Pot and fill it up with a small amount of salt and warm water. Drip that through your nose and sinuses
- Cayenne Pepper - Possibly a little unorthodox but cayenne pepper promotes cirulation in the body. The key ingredient here is capsaicin which increases blood flow. Eat cayenne pepper. Some people swab their nasal pasages- I have personally not done this method, but have heard of it (this can cause burns) so be careful.
Don't automatically reach for medication next next time you are looking to treat your sinus pain and sinus headaches. There are other natural methods to try. You just to be OPEN to trying them.
It Mothers Day . I feel so blessed and lucky that I get to celebrate this with my 22 month old son.I feel thankful and blessed for my own Mom as well. Happy Mamma's Day Everyone - Nav
- Get Better Sleep at Night. Your Body Will Thank you
- Sway Back Posture
- Getting the right pillow to stop neck pain
- Top 10 ways to unclog your nose and get rid of the stuffiness
- The arc4life traction pillow can help you breathe better at night