A gentle neck stretch can do wonders for neck pain,numbness and tingling and weakness in the upper extremity. Its called neck traction. If you are cleared for neck traction by your Dr then this is something you should consider.If my husband has a headache, he will do some gentle traction for about 5 minutes - 15 minutes. Here are 5 very gentle neck traction products That I recommend. They are simple to use, and not cumbersome.
- The Omni Cervical Relief Device- They call this a pillow, but its not really a pillow.
- The Soothe-A Ciser Cushion- very comfortable. This is very similar to hanging your head off of the bed to get passive neck traction.
- The Posture Right Neck Orthotic - Soft Version. It utilizes a fulcrum to direct force (stretch) into the cervical spine to allow for muscle and ligament remolding. The neck orthotic has a non-changing, constant, specific 1 inch contact point that delivers a significant amount of traction without the use of additional weights, pulleys, straps, water or inflation.
- The Arc4life Traction Neck Pillow - Yes, you can use this just for laying on 10-15 minutes. Simply lay on the V Side of the neck pillow on your back. That's it. Be careful, you may even fall asleep.
- The Posture Pump 1000 - the mack daddy of neck traction. This one I am going to add to the list. It is simple to use but there is more involved. It is still better than over the door neck traction or any other complicated device. You can control the amount of the neck stretch.
Additional Reading Resources:
- Avoid Hunchback posture and keep your spine aligned by doing cervical traction
- More neck and low back traction
- How to use a traction collar for chronic neck pain relief
- My Pillow is too soft and does not give me support